National Official Business Register, REGON was established on ground of article 41 point 1 position 1 of the Law dated June 29th, 1995 on official statistics (Journal of Laws 2016, position 1068, with amendments).
Detailed rules for running and actualisation of the register are defined by the Regulation of the Council of Ministers of 30 November 2015 on the mode and methodology of running and updating the national official business register, application, questionnaire, certificate specimens and detailed condition (Journal of Laws item 2009, with later amendments).
REGON register is a continuously actualised set of information on subjects of national economy run as an IT system in the way of central database and local databases.
- serves reaching identification cohesion of businesses entered into another official registers and information systems of public administration,
- serves uniformity of descriptions used in nomenclatural and classification concepts in all official registers and information systems of public administration,
- provides general characteristics of businesses operating in national economy in following cross-sections: territorial, proprietorial, types of activity, legal form, etc.,
- enables preparation of address list of active businesses,
- is the foundation for creation of databases and data banks on businesses,
- is the main source of supply for the base of units drawn for statistical surveys.